Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Strategy or Safe Choice

Strategy or Safe Choice.... that is the question? Wasn't there a quote something like that???
Is Strategy a low starch feed? Is it a better feed?

Re: Strategy or Safe Choice

Hi Lynette,

No -- Strategy is a high starch feed and I don't recommend it unless a horse is exercised regularly and requires the extra calories (assuming good overall health and condition). Even then, do not feed it according to directions -- supplement it with a low starch feed.

Safe Choice (by Nutrena) is sometimes "Safe" and sometimes not. The ingredients vary according to the manufacturing facility -- so there is no consistency across products. In general, it is a good feed, but I have seen some bags that contain whole corn! That's not what you would expect in a low starch feed. So, read the ingredients label carefully -- it can vary from product to product.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty,
There is a feed called "Safe & Sound" by West Feeds. Have you ever heard of it? How does it stack up? It's suppose to be low starch and $1.75 a bag less than Safe Choice. I don't know what low starch feeds there are available here in the central Texas area. Purina seems to think starch & carbs are ok............ and they just have to be watched if the horse is prone to laminitis. I have been trying to stay low starch & my horses are doing well.
Thanks for your time!!
Lynette

Re: Re: Strategy or Safe Choice

Ok, I used the "search this forum" and saw that Safe & Sound is the same as Safe Choice. Now you don't have to re-answer the same question.
Thanks for putting up with me!!

Hi Lynette,

Sometimes products are the same, only have different names because of different divisions of the same company. Safe Choice and Safe & Sound are two feeds that fit into this category.

You're right about Purina products -- they are consistently high in sugar and starch, with the exception of Ultium.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO