Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My gelding has a difficult time with Summer heat

Hi there, I have a 13 year old gelding that we just got last summer. He has a difficult time with Summer heat, despite shade and breeze. Twice last year, he showed the signs of heat exhaustion (one of those times he actually stopped sweating). Cold hosing him works wonderfully, but I am at work during the day. With summer approaching again, I am worried. A co-worker of mine found a supplement called "ONE AC" which is supposed to keep horses sweating so that they can evaporatively cool themselves more effectively. Have you heard of this supplement or used it before? I was also wondering about any side effects. Thanks for your help! ~Ashley Carson

Where are you from? King William, Virginia

How did you locate this forum? co-worker

Re: My gelding has a difficult time with Summer heat

Hi Ashley,

I took a look at One AC and it consists of 3 B vitamins (B6, Pantothenic Acid, and Niacin) along with a B-vitamin like substance called Choline (used in a neurotransmitter called Acetyl choline) and Tyrosine, an amino acid that stimulates the production of the neurotransmitter, dopamine.

So, having said all this, it may be a useful product to assist in the stress response caused by heat. And, you can likely try it to see how it works for him.

My approach, however, would be to supplement all of the B vitamins (since there are 8 of them and they all work together) and also to give him magnesium to assist with his stress response. Most horses do not get enough magnesium and this may likely do the trick.

So, I would definitely add Quiessence to his diet at a rate of 1 ounce per 500 lbs.

With regard to the B vitamins, there are a couple of routes to go depending on what he is already getting. If you are currently feeding a vitamin/mineral supplement or feeding a commercial feed according to directions, simply add more B vitamins to his diet in the form of B Plex. If you are feeding mostly hay and/or pasture, then give him a supplement that contains B vitamins along with other important nutrients to fill in the gaps such as Glanzen Complete.

A plain white salt block is also a necessity and he may benefit further from simply adding table salt to each meal -- 2 tablespoons per day.

I can assist you in looking over his entire diet, as well as his overall health from a holistic perspective, if you find a phone visit to be helpful.

Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

THANK YOU DR. GETTY! I started my gelding on Quiessence as you suggested and it worked wonders for him! We had 45 days that were over 90 degrees this summer and he was comfortable the whole time! I really do appreciate your help...and so does "Gator" :)

Where are you from? Va

How did you locate this forum? co-worker

Hi Ashley,

Wonderful!! I'm delighted to hear how well, and how quickly, Quiessence was helpful.

Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO