Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Question about D-Carb Balance

Hello Dr. Getty,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I have a 14 yr old TWH gelding who is IR. He started out on the Triple Crown Low Starch and Quiessence about three years ago when we live in Northern VA where he was boarded. He looked like the good year blimp on tooth picks, cresty neck, foot abscesses, fat pads, the whole nine yards. When my vet first came out to see him he asked what he was being fed and my response was just pasture at that point!! I said he just kept gaining weight no matter how little I fed him so I quit giving him any feed.

When we purchaed our own place last Dec 07, his condition had improved a little, but not much, so I started serious researching and have switched his diet over to a whole food natural diet with some dramatic improvements finally.

I didn't see any benefits from the Quiessence, so I stopped using it and started using Magnesium oxide, but was looking for a chromium supplment. He is currently on 3/4 lb oats 2 x per day, a good vitamin/mineral supplement, 3 oz cocosoya oil 2 x per day, alfalfa cubs soaked then weighed out to
2 lbs 2 x per day, 1 1/2 tsp mag oxide 1 x per day,
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon 2 x per day and 1 cup of ground flax 1 x per day. He gets about 22 lbs of hay per day, 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. He also get free choice loose organic salt/mineral supplement in his paddock. The pasture right now is not good due to a nasty summer drought. I haven't switched over to the spring field yet. I am waiting for some more rain before I change fields.

To, my question. My reading and research suggest for horses that are insulin resistant, that they should receive any where from 7-14 mg of chromium per day. That does seam somewhat high to me, but none of the supplements come close this recommendation. I am looking at D-Carb Balance and I like what I see, but I'm wondering if its enough chromium and if so, should I adjust Gizzy's Magnesium oxide that I am giving him now if I start using the D-Carb? Also, I see it has some vitamins in it as well, will this affect his vitamin/mineral supplement?

Thanks so much for your in put.
Sincerely,
Kim

Where are you from? Mineral, Va.

How did you locate this forum? Searching for a Chromium Supplement for my IR horse

Re: Question about D-Carb Balance

Hi Dr. Getty,

Whoops! Forgot to mention, he is also on a probotic and an antioxident supplement once a day as well.

Thanks,
Kim

How did you locate this forum? Searching for a Chromium Supplement for my IR horse

Hello Kim,

Thank you for writing about your horse. You're doing a fine job with one exception -- that is feeding oats. An insulin resistant horse should not have any cereal grains since these dramatically raise blood insulin levels and promote fat storage.

About the Chromium -- D Carb Balance provides 2 mgs per 2 oz serving, which I feel better about than the 7-14 mg you mentioned. There is no requirement for chromium provided by the National Research Council and it is recommended that horses limit their intake to no more than 4 mg per day.

D Carb balance is also a vitamin/mineral supplement so you would not give him this product along with another vitamin/mineral supplement. Otherwise, overlaps could be produced.

Quiessence is a magnesium oxide supplement and also contains chromium. I don't know how much magnesium oxide you're feeding but your horse would do best on 5,000 mg per 250 lbs of body weight and it generally takes 4 to 6 months to see a weight reduction.

I hope this is helpful. If you find that a personal phone consultation would be helpful, please let me know. I would very much like to go over the potential for overlaps in his diet - in particular your use of free-choice minerals. Horses do not have the ability to ascertain their need for minerals, which the exception of a few electrolytes. Hence, the risk of interactions becomes a real concern when offering them free-choice.

So, let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr. Getty,

Thank you so much for your response. I will be calling you for a consult as you suggested. I think that would be a great idea. I will give consideration to the oats. I do realize they are not the best for IR horses, but I had such a problem with our local feed company and moldy food, I had to do something, thus the oats. I haven't been sold 100% on beet pulp as a horse feed, I need to do some more research on it before I switch his diet AGAIN. He is doing sooooo well right now, I am afraid to change anything, but spring is coming and the grass will be growing and I am starting to get nervous if you get my drift. I have taken a lot of flak over his diet, but if you could see him a year ago and now, you would not believe it is the same horse. I must be doing something right . Thanks for the words of encouragement! I will also review his salt/mineral supplement. I purchased it from Dr. Dan Moore (the Natural Horse Vet) and he told me that it was perfectly safe to leave out free choice. I just want to be 100% sure I am not over loading any of my horses.

Sincerely,
Kim

Hi Kimberly,

Glad to help and I'll look forward to visiting with you further about your horse.

Regarding free choice minerals... horses do not have the ability to ascertain their blood levels of minerals, with the exception of electrolytes magnesium, sodium, chloride, and potassium. But minerals such as iron, manganese, zinc, calcium, and others cannot be fed free choice with the expectation that the horse will eat what he needs.

I know this method of feeding is popular but it is not based on scientific principles.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO