Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Toed out mare

I have a 13 year old mare that is toed out on the front right. I am currently free feeding grass hay and supplementing with Platinum Performance. She seems to have difficulty when putting weight on her toed out foot. She is never lame from it, she just seems uncomfortable (a slight limp favoring that foot) at times especially when she is more active. I just want to know if there is anything I should or should not be doing concerning, shoeing, exercise and nutrition. I just would like to see her more comfortable. Thanks!!!

Where are you from? Santa Ynez CA

How did you locate this forum? word of mouth

Re: Toed out mare

Hello Erica,

There seems to be disagreement as to how to correctly trim a toed-out foot, so I would strongly recommend that you interview several farriers before going with one solution.

This condition does put strain on the tendons and ligaments. So, from a nutritional perspective, it is best to provide nutrients that protect these tissues. B vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin E are all significant players in reducing inflammation. So, I would recommend a double dose of BPlex, along with E8000. Since you're already feeding Platinum Performance, this is a flaxseed-meal based product, so there wouldn't be any need to add more flax to the diet for omega 3 fatty acids.

I hope this is helpful. Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO