Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
cushions horse with major laceration

Whe have a andalusion (sp) gelding retired dressage horse 22 with cushions that we have been managing with a combination of pergolide and chaste berries....he is doing good. He cut himself terribly to the bone of his left hock. Vet said he may have nicked the bone but we are hopeful that it is just a deep laceration. My question is should we be supplementing him with vitamin c for the healing? I was going to give him garlic for the antibiotic quality but after doing the research have decided against that with the anemia it may cause.
Any suggestions? We are cleaning it with betadine and keeping it wrapped and he is pacing in a bigger stall without getting muddy outside. Our main concern is infection for this old guy. But I am thinking that 7000 mg of vitamin c may help with the healing.

Where are you from? Hellertown, PA

How did you locate this forum? google search on vitamin c

Re: cushions horse with major laceration

Hello Wendy,

Thank you for your patience in my getting to your question. I'm sorry to hear about your gelding's injury and yes, I definitely recommend adding vitamin C to his diet to serve as an antioxidant. Also, older horses should be on vitamin C supplementation as a matter of course, since they no longer produce enough of it on their own. Vitamin C plays a major role in the production of collagen -- which is the protein found in healthy bones and joints.

Antioxidants such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E and others, will help neutralize the damaging free radicals that are formed where there is an injury. PreOx is an antioxidant preparation worth considering.

I also am seeing positive results with placing honey on the wound several times each day. Manuka Honey is particularly worthwhile. Though a "non-conventional" treatment, it is one that is being prescribed more and more by health professionals.

Thank you for writing. I hope this is helpful and please keep me posted on his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO