Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
horse feed

Hi!! I just have a question about feed. I currently have my 4 year old Appendix on Carb guard, free choice plain salt, and good quality hay. I was at a equine event and i mentioned to a nutritionist about my horses skin problem in the summer. He beleive she is lacking a vitamin or mineral. Is it good to add a free choice mineral such as Grostrong to her diet? I am also looking at Agway's Stable smart low starch feed which has a little more in it then carbguard. I just dont want to give my horse too much selenium.

Thanks!!

Sherry

Where are you from? Pa

Re: horse feed

Hi Sherry,

You are wise to be concerned about overdosing selenium since this mineral has a small range of tolerance. Carb Guard is not the best feed when it comes to added vitamins and minerals. I would suggest that you add a supplement that has a flaxseed meal base to provide omega 3 fatty acids. This will have an enormous beneficial effect on your horse's skin (as well as feet, haircoat, joints, and immune system). So, I would recommend Glanzen Complete.

GroStrong is best fed as a top dressing, not free choice because horses are not able to ascertain their need for many minerals, only a few electrolytes. Plus, GroStrong has a high level of selenium (6.5 ppm, so feeding 1 lb per day provides 3.0 mg of selenium - a rather high amount).

But, with Glanzen Complete, your horse will get a full complement of minerals, vitamins, and omega 3 fatty acids. And, there is only 1 mg of selenium per 6 ounce serving. Carb Guard has .5 ppm of selenium, so let's say you're feeding 6 pounds per day -- that would translate into 1.36 mg of Se. Since you are in PA, the soils are typically low in selenium in your part of the country, so your hay is likely to be low in this mineral. I like to limit selenium intake to no more than 3 mg per day for most horses.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO