Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
advice please

Has anyone every had a horse with a hip or back leg problem, or ever got a sinue cut by a vet to help tension.
ok my mare is a heavy black and white gypsie style. she is half fresian and half gypies horse, she is very big boned 10inch the last time i checked and that was a year ago. she will be 5 year old this year. she was a very big foal and her dam had a bit of problems delivery her. she had to be assisted and be pulled out to help her mother have her. so has always been big. anyway she is a big wide cob stunning, and very quiet. but the problem starts here, when she was about a 1 and half i noticed her every so often she would drag her back foot them like pull it back quick, and carry on walking she would only do this for a second every so often. she has always been the type never to be rushed, and i mean that she is the slowest horse nothing fases her a bomb really could go of beside her and she wouldnt even noticed. even as a foal she was like this, so anyway i took her to the vet he said this happens sometimes with very heavy cobs, becaues she is so strong boned.

he said he would have to cut a sinue in both of her back legs to release tenision. so that was deadon and it helped she would do it a odd time but it really helped. but now she does it again not drag her foot this time but every so often maybe 3-4 times aday she stamps her back foot doesnt drag her leg but just stamps her foot every so often, like releasing tesion. and the other horses thinks she is being a moody mare and strat trying to kick her to put her in her place, cause they dont realise that she has this wee thing, because she wouldnt hurt a fly. also i noticed she finds turning sometimes stiff and backing up, now she only does this when she is standing not walking. she doesnt hold her foot in the air but just stamps it a few times and sometimes very evry hard. Its her back right one she stamps but is stiff in both, has this every happened to any horses you know, because she is fine will walk run and do every thing but i am just worried about her i am breaking her in at the min. what are your thoughts i think she might have to have a operation or get the sinue cut again. do they grow back. the vet doesnt seem to bothered but he doesnt see all this.
also i have separated her now so she doesnt get kicked.

she doesnt drag her foot now but stamps her back foot hard abot 3-4 times aday. also turning sometimes she would rather just stay where she is. but she can run and play with the others but does this, seems stiff every so often and uncomfortable. and that cant be good for her hoints stamping that hard. thanks

Where are you from? northern ireland

How did you locate this forum? a friend

Re: advice please

Hello Priscilla,

I'm not entirely certain what the diagnosis was for your mare, but it appears to be a weakened tendon, from what you describe. Tendons are difficult to heal because they have limited blood supply. However, they will eventually respond to nutritional treatment when you supply high dosages of four nutrients -- Vitamin E, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, and Magnesium.

I don't know what you're feeding, but the overall diet should supply the following levels of these nutrients: 5000 mg of Magnesium per 250 kg of body weight, 5,000 IU of Vitamin E per day, 500 mg of vitamin B6 per day, and 20,000 mg of Vitamin C per day for at least two months time to see how she manages. I have these items on my website, but if you could find them in your country, that would be less expensive, since shipping to Ireland would be costly.

So, if you decide to try this, please let me know how things are progressing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO