Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Spooky yearling

Hi Kris,

I like to wean as late as possible and there is plenty of evidence that shows how horses who are weaned younger than 6 months of age, grow up to have all sorts of behavioral issues as an adult. So, 6 months in the youngest I would wean a foal. I prefer to let it occur naturally, which generally happens at 9 to 12 months. This way, the horse has a chance to develop into a much calmer adult.

Yes, you can give Quiessence with Safe Choice -- not a problem.

So, addressing your situation from a nutrition perspective will be helpful but also behavioral conditioning is also called for -- be patient -- it takes a lot of time to desensitize a horse toward everyday objects that cause fear. And, showing the whites of eyes, when the eyes are relaxed, is just the horse's physical characteristics, nothing more.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO