Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Water after riding

Hello Dr. Getty,
I have always followed the rule of cooling a horse well before allowing him to drink after a ride, until a few years ago that is when I ran into the endurance riding crowd. They feed and water horses during and after races all the time. If feeding and watering a hot horse causes collic then why dont these horses collic?

Thank you for this web site!
Patty

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Browsing the web for equine nutrition information

Re: Water after riding

Hi Patty,

Feeding and watering, per se, does not cause colic. Feeding and watering too much, does. But, in the case of endurance horses, they require small meals to keep their energy levels up and they also need to remain hydrated.

A horse that just finishes exercising can and should have some water -- this is important for diluting stomach acid and rehydrating tissues. Forage consumption is also very helpful to keep the motility of the digestive tract in good condition and to keep the microbes in the hind gut functioning.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO