Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Belly flies

Hi dr getty,i was wondering if you could tell me what i could give my preg.mare for those sm flies that like to hang around under a horses belly,she has some sores and layes down and scratches her belly on her back legs,i have swat but i dont think i should be using that on her,is there anything i can feed her to help keep the flies away,my friend said to pour some apple cider vinigar on her food,what do you think???

Where are you from? calif.

Re: Belly flies

Hi Judy,

Apple cider vinegar is a good idea and I have found it to be helpful with my own horses. I put 1/2 cup in a 5 gallon water bucket and they love it.

But, this doesn't solve the problem entirely. Manure management and even fly predators are other tools you can use. Applying Vicks vaporub to her belly would also repel these bugs.

So, these are a few natural remedies. Happy Foaling!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

YHANK YOU DR GETTY.

Where are you from? calif.

Hi Judy,

Glad to help!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO