Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cribbing

I have read with interest the many postings about cribbing on this site. I recently acquired a Welsh pony/Arab cross who cribs. I did know about it in advance of taking the animal, but they told me he "cribs a little and never outside". Well, he cribs pretty much non-stop. In or out, makes no difference. Anytime he is near wood he is cribbing. His previous situation was not good. Isolation, no turn out and not much feed. All contributors I'm sure so I don't know where to start. He is lean, can't feel the ribs, but just not where he should be with muscle and weight. I would say he is about 100 to 150 pounds under weight. Any advice you could give me about where to start and sequence of what to try would be greatly appreciated.

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? Search Engine

Re: Cribbing

Hello Karla,

Thank you for your patience in my getting to your question. From what you describe, his cribbing and wood chewing are a product of his neglect and he will very likely reduce his need for this bad habit, once he is healthier, both physically and mentally. Because his history is complex, I feel that I would be best able to help you by taking the time to speak with you personally. So, please consider setting up a phone consultation so I can evaluate his entire situation -- history, feeding, exercise, environment, medical interventions, mental state, and more to customize a feeding plan that will help him gain weight and be more relaxed.

In the meantime, I would suggest giving him all the grass hay he wants, some alfalfa hay as well, a flaxseed-meal based comprehensive supplement such as Glanzen Complete to provide B vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids, and finally, Ration Plus to help calm his nervous system and help him gain weight.

So, please let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO