Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Triple Crown 12%

Hello Dr. Getty,
I was wondering if feeding Triple Crown 12% Supplement at 1 pound a day would provide enough vitamins and minerals for a mature gelding who is on grass/alfalfa hay. He's in good flesh. The only thing xtra I might add would be a hoof supplement and maybe some ground flaxseed.

Thank you Dr. Getty!

Kate

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? Internet search

Re: Triple Crown 12%

Hello Kate,

Well, according to the feeding directions on the TC label, you would need to feed 1.5 lbs per day for the maintenance horse to get all the nutrients listed. Having said that, if you're feeding a good quality hay along with flaxseed meal, you can very likely get by with 1 lb per day.

Keep in mind that ground flaxseed is naturally higher in phosphorus than calcium. This inverted ratio needs to be fixed since you do not want your horse to have more P than Ca. This is why I prefer feeding a stablized flaxseed meal that has added calcium to correct this ratio, such as Nutra Flax.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO