Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Horse with arthritus

I have a 17 year old Tennessee Walking Horse that had been diagnosed, via X rays, with arthritus especially in his right knee. Was advised to keep him active and give him "bute". On one of your previous posts, you advised Actiflex 4000 for arthritus. What dosage do you recommend. Thank you. John

Where are you from? Manchester, TN (Middle, TN)

How did you locate this forum? Referred by a friend

Re: Horse with arthritus

Greetings John,

Thank you for writing about your horse. Yes, Actiflex is an excellent choice and I've had wonderful success with it. It comes in a liquid - Actiflex 4000, or a powder. If your horse has any trouble keeping weight on, then Actiflex Senior would be appropriate.

The dosage is one ounce per day after a 10 day loading dose of 2 ounces per day. However, some horses do best with 2 ounces per day on a regular basis.

In addition to Actiflex, if necessary, a buteless supplement such as Stop the Pain or SuPer Substitute would be better than bute, over the long term.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO