Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
platinum performance

Hi Dr Getty, I was just wondering what you thought of Platinum Performance supplements... Specifically platinum performance equine: http://www.platinumperformance.com/animal/equine/products/productcategories/product.cfm?category_id=190
and platinum gentle: http://www.platinumperformance.com/animal/equine/products/productcategories/product.cfm?category_id=157.

I have my 10 year old Appendix QH on Nutrena XTN (2 cups a day), an alfalfa/grass mix hay (about 10 flakes a day), and about 1-2 hours a day on good quality pasture. He competes in the jumper ring. I had put him on platinum equine since he was not doing well on the XTN that the boarding stable put him on(I will be switching him back to Ultium in about 2 weeks). His coat looks dull and long and his focus has gone downhill since the switch from Ultium to XTN. I just wanted to know if this supplement is a good choice.

I also wanted to know if you thought that the platinum gentle would be good for him since he has high energy and focusing problems. The Quiessence and Ex-Stress had little, if any affect on him; but I noticed that Gentle has theanine in it as well... I show him on the A circuit and occasionally the USEF will drug test. Is theanine legal? Just wanted to have your opinion on the matter.

Thank you

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: platinum performance

Hello Andea,

Platinum Performance is a very good product and a good overall, comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement. However, it does contain iron, which most horses do not need. And, it contains molasses, which many horses do better without. Selenium is also added, and this can cause overlaps if the diet is already high in selenium.

For these reasons, I prefer Reitsport HA-100 for performance horses.

The Gentle product is worth trying, though the poor concentration may be due to a lack of B vitamins, which Reitsport HA-100 also provides.

Theanine is an amino acid and I have heard that is is prohibited by the USEF, though it would be a good idea for you to confirm this. However, you could stop using the product 7 to 10 days before an event.

Thank you for writing and I hope this was helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO