Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
too many minerals?

I'm 12 years old, and I am half leasing a 17 year old foundation QH who is healthy and sound. His owners feed him the recomended amount of Safe and Sound, plus 1 oz of FORCO ( http://forco.com/main/index.asp?rnd=650661 ),
4 oz Platinum Performance, 3 oz Strongid C 2X, 1 oz. Cosequin. I'm wondering if this is too much vitamins and minerals. After reading your other post about platimun, I'm wondering what too much iron and/or selenium do. Thank you for your help.

Olivia

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? friend

Re: too many minerals?

Hello Olivia,

Depending on how much Safe and Sound he is being fed, he may or may not be getting too much supplementation. If a commercial feed is fed according to directions, then it often isn't necessary giving a comprehensive multiple vitamin/mineral supplement such as Platinum Performance. Additional Vitamin E and Omega 3 fatty acids, from Flaxseed meal, are often needed, however.

The FORCO is a probiotic, which is fine to feed. And Cosequin is a joint supplement, which is already partially covered by Platinum Performance.

So, there is some overlap but if only a small amount of Safe and Sound is fed, this overall diet is fine for a healthy horse.

Selenium is always worth looking into and Texas soils are generally high enough in selenium, and too much more can be problematic. So, it would be helpful to know how much is in the hay that you're feeding, along with the amount in the Safe and Sound.

Iron is not necessary to supplement since this mineral is plentiful in grass and hay.

So, I would prefer a supplement such as Reitsport HA-100 since this would eliminate the need for Cosequin, and the probiotic. Plus, it does not contain added selenium or iron and is high in omega 3 fatty acids. Plus, it does not contain molasses, like the Platinum product does.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you so much for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO