Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Vitamin C

Hi Dr. Getty - Quick Question - What is the daily recommended dosage of Vit. C for horses? Thanks so much

Re: Vitamin C

Hi Vicky,

We visited about this via email, but for the benefit of my readers...

Horses produce their own vitamin C, however, as they age, they are not as able to produce enough. So, any horse over the age of 16 should get some vitamin C. And, the older they are, the more they require. I like to start with a dose of 4,000 mg per day and build up to three or four times that level, in the old horse.

Horses that are recovering from an injury or illness do very well with extra vitamin C, as well.

The key to giving vitamin C is understanding that they become accustomed to the higher level, so it is important to not run out. And, if you were to stop giving vitamin C, it should not be all of a sudden. Weaning over 2 to 3 weeks is important.

Pure C has a scoop that provides 6910 mg of Vitamin C. So, you can judge how much of one scoop to give, depending on the age and need.

Another thing to note is that vitamin C is very unstable. So, it should be stored in a cool, dry place away Horses produce their own vitamin C, however, as they age, they are not as able to produce enough. So, any horse over the age of 16 should get some vitamin C. And, the older they are, the more they require. I like to start with a dose of 4,000 mg per day and build up to three times that level, in the old horse.

Horses that are recovering from an injury or illness do very well with extra vitamin C, as well.

The key to giving vitamin C is understanding that they become accustomed to the higher level, so it is important to not run out. And, if you were to stop giving vitamin C, it should not be all of a sudden. Weaning over 2 to 3 weeks is important.

Hope this info helps! Pure C has a scoop that provides 6910 mg of Vitamin C. So, you can judge how much of one scoop to give, depending on the age and need. Here is the link for more info: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/purec.htm

Another thing to note is that vitamin C is very unstable. So, it should be stored in a cool, dry place away away from direct sunlight. And, because it is an antioxidant, minimize the amount of oxygen that gets into the container by covering it up right away after using.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO