Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mini weight gain

Hi Dr. Getty,
Back again for a question for you about our 3 yr old mini stallion who has been in training for four months. He's lost weight since he started training and I need to get some weight back on him. Right now he's on beet pulp, alfalfa, bermuda and black oil sunflower seeds (teeny tiny bit). And I'll be putting him back on Platinum Performance as soon as I order some unless you have a better suggestion.

Many thanks for your help here.

Pam

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Been here many times before

Re: Mini weight gain

Hi Pam,

I personally would not recommend Platinum Performance for a mini because it contains molasses and mini's really do best on a low starch/low sugar diet (which is what you're feeding).

Omega 3 fatty acids are very important for overall health and also provide the additional calories you're wanting. So, consider going with Glanzen Complete (which protects hoof tissues as well).

And I would also suggest adding Ration Plus to help him gain weight. This is a prebiotic that boosts the healthy of the bacterial flora, making digestion more efficient and hence, calories are more likely to be derived from his forage (from the hay and beet pulp).

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you for your help, Dr. Getty. I forgot to mention that I put him on Ration Plus as soon as he got home. Do you know how much Glanzen I would feed my mini? He weighs about 225#. I looked on the web site but it didn't indicate dosage other than for a full size horse, that I could see.

Pam

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Been here many times before

Hi Pam,

For a 1000 lb horse, you would feed 4 to 6 ounces(2 to 3 scoops) of Glanzen. So, for a mini that is one fourth the size, go with 1 to 1 1/2 ounces per day (1/2 to 3/4 scoop per day).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO