Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pregnant Horses

Hello,
We have never owned a horse, but we bought a pregnant horse from a person who lost his job and home and had nothing. He stop taking care of his horse and did not feed or care for it. He ended up selling the horse and know we have it. We have nursed it back to some point that we think that we've done a good job of. In three weeks she looks so much better. We have given her salt, sugar, hay, alfalfa, and carrots. She really doesn't care for carrots to much. But is there some special we should be doing for a pregnant horse that hasn't always had a good life. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Maria Jessie Gonzalez

Where are you from? Las Vegas, Nevada

How did you locate this forum? Internet search

Re: Pregnant Horses

Hello Maria,

First let me say thank you for giving this mare a good home.

A pregnant mare has many needs. During the early part of her pregnancy, she needs a balanced diet that is low in starch and sugar. So, a commercial feed such as Triple Crown Lite, fed according to directions would be one suggestion. Along with this, she needs to have all the grass hay and/or pasture she wants, along with approximately 30 to 40 % alfalfa.

Once she gets into her last three months of pregnancy, her needs increase dramatically and you should consider giving her a multiple vitamin/mineral supplement such as Mare/Foal IIP to meet the growing foal's needs.

There is a wonderful book that I highly recommend to help you through this process. It is not a nutrition book, but it covers the whole pregnancy along with foaling, so you know what to expect and what is normal and what's not. It's called "The Complete Foaling Manual."

For assistance in more detail with feeding, please consider setting up a phone consultation.

Happy Foaling!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO