Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
free choice hay pellets

Hey Dr Getty,

A couple of my friends at the barn feed their horses free choice grass hay pellets rather than the actual loose hay. They just keep a giant tub of bermuda or timothy pellets out for the horses at all times. I just wanted your thoughts on this.

It is becoming dificult to find quality grass hay in my area, and the pellets are of higher quality, so I am considering this as an option. However I am not completely sure if the pellets would digest just like hay, or if they should be treated like a concentrate (no more than 4lbs per meal). The horses here who are on it do not seem to be having a problem.

Thanks!
-Jamie

Re: free choice hay pellets

Hi Jamie,

Hay pellets are actually not designed to be fed free choice since they are more concentrated than hay and eaten more quickly. I prefer to feed hay cubes, broken in small pieces which are, pound for pound, equivalent to hay and horses take longer to chew them. Make sure there is fresh water right next to the hay cubes.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO