Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
building back muscle

Hi, i need some advice!!
i have a 16 yr old throughbred mare who for a big part of her life has been used as a broodmare, i have had her for 8 months and am slowly putting weight back on her,she has only been in light work, and not ridden for the last 2 months as waiting for a new saddle. so she has been lunged with side reins 3/4 times a week. i have recently had her back checked which was fine, but was told that maybe adding more protein to her diet would help with the build up of her back muscles,powdered mild was suggested. also using a pesoa instead of side reins when lunging would benefit her more. At the moment she is on an oat free mix, chaff, soya flakes and sugarbeat, she is stabled at night and has very good grazing throughout the day. Any advice? Thanks

Where are you from? nottinghamshire England

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: building back muscle

Hi Sam,

You're doing fine -- I would consider, however, adding two things to her diet:

First, fat from flaxseed (linseed) meal. Make sure it is not defatted linseed meal. Give her 150 to 170 grams per day, divided between meals.

Second, yes, a supplement that contains branched chain amino acids (building blocks of protein) would benefit her muscle development. I like the product SuPer Muscle Builder because it also is high in a substance known as Gamma Oryzanol, which further boosts muscle development. Perhaps you can find something like that in your area, since shipping it to England would be pricey.

So, these two things will be helpful. If after a couple of months, she is still not gaining weight, let me know and you may find a phone consultation helpful. I now offer them internationally.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO