Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
CushAlleve and Quiessence

Hi Dr. Getty,
Per your advise several years ago, I have my 14 horses on beet pulp, nutra flax, accel (will be changing to Accel Lifetime primarily for the additional C) and will be starting B-Plex. They have hay and or pasture 24/7.
I have recently brought in a 20yo saddlebred with possible cushings. She foundered in her past and xrays show significant rotation. After 6 months on this diet plus Chasteberry and Quiessence she looks and appears to feel great. I am almost out of the Chasteberry and wonder if I should start her on CushAlleve instead. If so, should I continue the Quiessence?
More recently I brought in a 36yo Morgan. He is quite frisky for an old guy. He has some signs of Cushings and I have the same question about him regarding CushAlleve and/or Quiessence.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Cindy

Where are you from? Minnesota

How did you locate this forum? Cannot remember ... Have been purchasing supplements for years

Re: CushAlleve and Quiessence

Greetings Cindy,

I would definitely put both of your cushings horses on Cush Alleve and offer some more magnesium using Quiessence. Cush Alleve has magnesium, but not as much as Quiessence, with only 1 gram per serving. Since your mare has foundered, it would be best to reduce her circulating insulin levels with more magnesum -- approximately 3 ounces for a 1000 lb horse, providing an additional 15 grams of magnesium.

Your Morgan could benefit from Quiessence, but at a maintenance dose -- two ounces per day -- since he is not only cushinoid, but also because of his breed. Morgans are genetically prone toward insulin resistance.

Thank you for writing about this important issue.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO