Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
inflamed thyroid

Dr getty I have a 22 year old Quarter horse with an inflamed thyroid My vet says there really isnt anything they can do about it but I was wondering if there was a product that would benefit him with this condition?
he is on a daily vitamin
your flaxseed
cup of bran
grass/alfalfa mix 2x daily
he looks great anything else you would recommend? He is retired on an acre

Where are you from? Washington

How did you locate this forum? been here before

Re: inflamed thyroid

Hi Traci,

Thyroiditis is often an auto-immune disease where the body attacks its own thyroid gland. At first there is too much thyroid hormone released, following by the destruction of the gland, leading to true hypothyroidism.

The use of thyroid medication is the typical treatment and you should discuss this with your veterinarian.

Nutritionally, the goal is to reduce inflammation. Antioxidants are important, and I would recommend replacing your multiple vitamin/mineral supplement with a double dose of PreOx.

Keep me posted,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

If I feed Preox 2 oz a day I can take him of the Horse Guard vitamins and Flax? Since I see Flax added to Preox?

Where are you from? Washington

How did you locate this forum? Been here before I buy Nutraflax

Hi Traci,

Yes, if you feed PreOx, you won't need another vitamin/mineral supplement. You may want to continue feeding Nutra Flax, only in a lesser quantity since a double dose of PreOx still doesn't have as much flaxseed as one scoop of Nutra Flax. And, I recommend 2 to 3 scoops of Nutra Flax for a 1000 lb horse.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO