Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
stabled black horse turning brown after shedding

We have a 6 year old quarter horse that has ALWAYS been a beautiful blue black. In the last couple months he has started turning brown. First belly and the top of his legs, now even his face has brown. Only the top of his hips and of course his mane and tail remain truly black. He does not go outside at all except to be worked which is usually done in early evening. He gets alfalfa hay, a pelleted feed and cocosoya (coconut and soy oil) supplement. why would his color change and can I fix it? Possibly a nurtitional problem?

Where are you from? Georgia

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: stabled black horse turning brown after shedding

Hi Diana,

Yes, fading hair coat color is a sign of a nutritional deficiency -- mainly copper, which can be aggravated by too much iron or zinc in the diet. Most commercial feeds are fortified with adequate minerals but you would have to feed it according to directions. This is often far too much feed. So, I have two recommendations.

First, give your horse Glanzen Complete -- this is a vitamin/mineral supplement that will boost his overall health in many ways. A poor hair coat is the last thing that happens when there are nutrient imbalances. So, from what you describe, he can definitely use some nutritional help.

Along with this, I recommend Blackenall to bring out the best in his coat color. You won't need to feed as much Glanzen Complete if you feed Blackenall. But, if you had to choose just one supplement, go with the Glanzen Complete.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you Dr. Getty for your reply.
I have really been researching the nutritional aspect and my head is spinning! Could you please clarify a few things.
I have read the ingredients of the products you suggested and I was wondering about omega 6? Nothing is mentioned and although I understand the importance of the omega 3's, shouldn't there be a balance of both 3's and 6's?
Also, the horse is at our trainers and they are on well water. The water has not been tested but I understand it is not unusual to find some levels of arsenic in ground water. And arsenic upsets some vitamin mineral balances as well as contributes to coat changes. Does any of the ingredients bind to the arsensic if it exists for detox purposes?
Thanks again and sorry this is so long.

Hi Diana,

Flaxseed meal also contains omega 6 fatty acids -- Linoleic Acid. Yes, horses do require some omega 6s, just not as much as we typically feed them by adding oils such as corn and soybean, to their diets.

Arsenic is definitely a problem and in more ways than just hair coat color. I strongly recommend that you have the well water tested. This should be done on yearly basis, especially if there are any changes to the area that can contribute to industrial wastes, for example, to the water table.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you