Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Treating Laminitis

I just had a farrier service my mare. He noticed that there was some notable hoof wall separation, recommended that I pull all grain and hay because my pastures are so lush. He had noted that this problem looked older and did not seem to concerned (I have only had this mare 2 months). IM very worried of course I called my veterinarian and waiting for him to get back to me. I use a product called Joint Combo, hoof and coat formula, is this okay? My mare deserves the best and IM very worried, what should I do?

Where are you from? Arlington, Washington

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: Treating Laminitis

Hi Becky,

Yes, I agree that you should not be feeding her anything high in starch and sugar. She does need forage - all she wants -- and grass hay, combined with some alfalfa, is your best bet. Have your hay analyzed so you can make a decision on how much sugar, starch, and fructan levels it contains.

If you send me the website of the supplement you're feeding, I can let you know my opinion about it. I recommend a flaxseed meal based hoof supplement such as Bio Flax Ultra because flax provides omega 3 fatty acids. These fats are beneficial in hoof health and relieve joint inflammation as well (though a separate joint supplement may be appropriate if your horse needs one).

Keep me posted on how she's doing. If you would like for me to take a close look at her entire situation and provide a customized feeding plan, let me know and we can set up a personal phone visit.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO