Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
limping

I have a problem with my 16.hand gelding. He has three white hooves,one is stripped,he has had a couple of abcesses in the four years that I,ve had him, he is a seven year old. He is just a big pasture pet,has a good life, I feed safe choice and pasture, and hay in the winter, on a daily dewormer, and on feed through fly control for a month. Couldnt get reg. farrier, so had a new one out, he made a comment about healthy feet when he came out. This big boy has big feet and they are dry,however was told all horses having same issue due to weather, no rain.His big front feet are flared, but I refuse to put shoes on him.Just after farrier left, next day I noticed he walked a little sore, the farrier left a lot of toe, said due to the weather.Two weeks have passed and my horse seems more sore by the day, and frankly doesnt look like he,s been trimmed at all. Farrier came out today, as I had called him, He put a tester on his front feet, and at the toe you can see an indentionin both feet, and was tender in both. Then he talked about putting shoes on him, and didnt touch the feet as far as taking off more toe. I,m so frustrated and very worried about laminitis. Does anyone have any information to add as well as Dr. Getty thank you, Rhonda

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? Browsing

Re: limping

Hi Rhonda,

First of all, this "new one" farrier doesn't seem like he's very good. No one leaves toes long due to "weather"! My farrier is a "barefoot" trimmer, and I have learned much from him over the last 10 years. I don't suspect laminities, but if your guy trimmed the foot, but left the toes long, that could cause the tenderness, as he is now walking on long toes, which actually pulls the hoof wall away from the laminae, as does "flaring" which you mentioned. Shoes will not help this situation. Also, white feet are not any more prone to problems than black feet, other than they do dry out faster. The years I've owned horses, I've never had a shoe on any of them, and I trail ride, jump, ride on roads etc.

My suggestion is first of all, find a new farrier! Get those long toes off your gelding. Flares can be corrected, but will take time. Also try letting your water trough overflow for about 10 minutes. His feet will get some moisture from the mud around the trough. As well, you may want to try putting him on "Farrier's Formula". http://lifedatalabs.com/ff.htm It's a superb supplement for hair coat, hooves ect. I've used it with horses that had dry brittle hooves before, and it worked well. Takes some time as it is a supplement, but it does help. You mentioned he's had abcesses, which are caused by bacteria entering a wound in the foot, a small puncture from, well, anything. They can also develop from stone bruises in the foot from simple walking around and stepping on a sharp stone. The Farrier's Formula will help build a stronger hoof which will help prevent those problems.

You may also want to get your vet out to look at his feet, to rule out the possiblity of laminitis, but this sounds like bad trim lameness for sure. Especially if he was sound before the trim despite his flares and such.

I am glad you refused the shoes, they are sometimes a necessary evil, but more and more the way is turning to barefoot for horses, as it is much healthier for the foot and the wild horses live quite well with no shoes in some of the driest, rockiest terrain there is. Also, if he is simply a pasture pet, there is definitely no need for shoes at all.

I hope this helps, sorry it was so long.....

Tamara

Where are you from? Ontario, Canada

How did you locate this forum? In my Favourites

Hello Rhonda,

Unfortunately, I have encountered many laminitis cases due to poor farrier work and I agree with Tamara that you should definitely find a different one.

Not knowing what his health and history are like, it's difficult to say, however, if the poor trimming -- or lack of trimming -- contributed to the laminitis. However, it certainly did not help.

I have used Tamara's idea of having a water soaked area next to the water trough, to allow the feet to get some moisture. This is a dry time of year in Texas and anything you can do to wet down the hooves is worth the effort.

A hoof supplement is a good idea but keep in mind that if you are feeding the recommended amount of Safe Choice, you may be overlapping nutrients by giving Farrier's Formula. Instead, go with a hoof formula designed to go along with a fortified feed. I recommend Bio Flax 20.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks so much, Tamara, and Dr. Getty, Long time getting back on site. Many family things going on. One son home from war, he and his wife have new baby, other son in service came in with wife to see new baby. So, my reg farrier came back in town finally. He felt so bad about my three horses quack farrier experience he trimmed all three at no charge.So, the toes were cut short. The limping gelding, limped more for about two more weeks,I put him on a devel claw liquid sup. and just this week has begun to move better. I do over flow water tank, and flood the place once a week when I clean it. I,ve talked to a natural trimmer, and have pete rammeys book. The natural trimmers dont service this area. My mares are black hooved arabs, and have never had foot issues.I know everyone will say white hooves arent more inferier, I just see such a difference in them. He is a very large horse at 16.2 hands, so perhaps that causes issues. I do all I can do to keep it natural, and healthy.Everyone is fleshy,and shiney, with dapples in the hair coat.I found a place close that sells Triple crown, and have concidered changing feed.About three years ago tried hoof sup. for about six months, didnt see any change in hooves. Now if I lather hooves daily with a moistureizer, that seems to help, I just get lazy about it. Its only been recently that I felt I could trust him enough to treat his hind feet.I had to suck it up, and become a better leader for him.We think this horse is proud cut.Between the Parelli,s and Clinton Anderson, I have more confidence with him. Besides,I,m an Arab person, and get along better with mares oddly enough,I guess being a woman, I understand mood swings. Ha! Always a pleasure to visit this site. so many wonderful well informed horse people, and a Doctor who cares. Thanks so much, Rhonda

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? Browsing

Hi Rhonda,

You must be so proud, congrats on the new baby!

I am glad to hear your reg farrier is back. Did he give any advice on the lameness? If he continued to limp for two more weeks after properly being trimmed, he may well have developed a slight case of laminitis from the previous trim. I agree with Dr. Getty, bad trims can cause laminitis, but if treated promptly, can be cured. A proper trim is a good start.

If he is moving better now after giving him the supplement, it's helping. I would continue to monitor him closely anyway, if he did have laminitis, he will be susceptible to reoccurring bouts.

Good luck with him, and please post what your reg farrier said about it. I'd be interested to know.

Happy Trails,
Tamara

Where are you from? Ontario Canada

Hello Rhonda,

Thanks for the update. Hoof supplements generally take more than 6 months to see improvement, so patience and diligence help in this regard. Feeding the hoof from the "inside, out" is better than moisture on the outside in terms of feeding living tissue.

Keep up the good work and keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

P.S. Thank your son for me for his service.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO