Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Good low starch feed in houston area texas????

Well, another question, If safe choice has corn, what should I feed,living in small ville Texas, just dont have a lot to pick from, I,ve gone from purina, to nutrina the cost is climbing with the price of gas, and the quality isnt. What is every one doing down here near the coast? Of corse I want/need to keep it simple and as low cost as posible. I have three horses on three acres, and this is the first year in five-six years I have been giving hay in the summer. The hay quality isnt the best here also. Whats a horse owner to do?

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? Browsing

Re: Good low starch feed in houston area texas????

Hi Rhonda - Can you get Triple Crowne feeds there? They are a Kent feed. Excellent feed, no sugars/starches. I have all 3 of mine on Triple Crowne lite even my 27 yr. old. Good Luck

Hi Rhonda,

Triple Crown, as Vicky suggested, is an excellent feed. However, if it's not available, you may still be able to feed Nutrena Safe Choice. Check the ingredient list -- if it has corn, it will state this on the label. I have found that their ingredient lists vary from processing plant to processing plant. So, you may find this variation in the feed bags at your feed store. Just keep checking and you may be able to speak to your store manager about only getting the product from a specific location.

Purina has a new low starch feed called Wellsolve L/S -- so check into this one since you're able to get Purina products.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Rhonda, my foundered mini loves the Purina WellSolv. I live South of you. Steinhausers in alvin carries it. talk to Steve-he's a Houston Fireman, and was incredibly helpful when I was hunting a low starch feed. I was trying the TC low starch, but looking at the two feeds side by side, the Purina has a fresher look to it. Just my thoughts.

Shari

Where are you from? Brazoria County, Texas, where Texas began

How did you locate this forum? Trying to find information on NSC's in Safe Choice

TC also makes a forage called Safe Starch Forage that I had my mini mare on for almost two years. I have since switch to Purina Wellsolve L/S, which my vet highly recommends.

Where are you from? California

Got an email from the Wendlands rep today, and he said the NSC in One & Only, is 10.2% from grains. Dr. Getty, how does it compare to using the Triple Crown low starch feed, or the Purina Well solve ? The Purina appears to have more alfalfa, because when you hold it side by side to the TC, the TC is really pale in color.

Where are you from? Brazoria County, Texas, where Texas began

How did you locate this forum? Trying to find information on NSC\'s in Safe Choice

Rhonda, on the south side of Houston you can get Triple Crown Feed at Arcola Feed www.arcolafeed.com. I feed my 2 aged mares Triple Crown Senior and love it. I've also become friends with the TC distributer Terri Smith so if you don't live on the South side email me and I can get you in touch with her. I know they sell it on the North and West side also but just can't remember what stores.

I feed a yearling and 10 yo mare Safechoice and am confused about Dr Getty's statement concerning corn would be listed on the label... They are not required to list corn on labels, it is included in the "grain" cat. I wish they did require feed companies to list exactly what is in their feed...

Where are you from? Angleton, TX

How did you locate this forum? Dogpile search

Hi Shari and Linda,

Shari -- TC Low starch does not contain any grain. It's really important to not feed even a small amount of grain to an insulin resistant or a Cushing's horse.

Linda,

I have seed corn listed on the ingredients lable of some Safe Starch products. That was some time ago, so perhaps it no longer is listed. However, if you open the bag and see whole kernels of corn (as I did) it is not a "safe" starch feed. Actually, "safe starch" is an oxymoron since no starch source is safe for an insulin resistant horse. And when it comes to grains, in particular, corn is the least digestible, making it the most dangerous in terms of laminitis risk.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO