Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
my mare is 6 ys old due this month or may be next month how will i know when she is going to have h

Where are you from? longford

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: my mare is 6 ys old due this month or may be next month how will i know when she is going to ha

Marisa,
You will notice that the mare will start to wax. This refers to the appearance of the first drops of colostrum. In some mares, you can actually see their hindquarters get a pointy shape - the baby is beginning to position itself. You can also feel her backend around her tail bone and tell how soft it is - the firmer it is, the more time she has...the softer, the closer she is. The majority of mares I have been around bag up so much so that you will see what looks like an saggy pocket of milk in front of their *****.

Hope this helps! Good luck with the new baby!
Megan

Where are you from? Upstate New York

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: my mare is 6 ys old due this month or may be next month how will i know when she is going to ha

Hello Marisa,

I highly suggest the book, "The Complete Foaling Manual." It will provide easy-to-understand descriptions of what to expect, what's normal, and what's not. It also goes into how to care for the new born and the mare. And, there are plenty of valuable photos.

Happy Foaling!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO