Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
how to put weight on

I was wondering if anyone had advice:

My 11yr old (1,225lbs./17H) TB gelding has been difficult to keep weight on. He'll get an okay coating across his ribs, but his back, and hips don't ever fill out that great, and he also has a hunter bump. I don't think the hay at the barn he is boarded is that great of quality (plus they do not give him much at all - I sneak more hay to him)...I have heard that alfalfa helps put weight on their back ends, but he is in with 2 other hardy horses that are at a good weight to pushing pudgy.

His grain is currently rolled oats, cracked corn, soy, and sweet feed...I believe he is receiving 8-9lbs a day in grain. He has free access to pasture, which again, I don't believe is of the highest quality, and has free access to a stall, wormed regularly, regular teeth floatings, mineral block, and has an ample supply of fresh water (via a stream off of the mountain or from the a big bucket by his stall). He doesn't like to leave his stall during the summer to graze due to the bugs (can't blaime him there), and because he hangs out in his stall he's not getting any nutrients that could be offered from grazing. (FYI he is also vet healthy, no medical issues)

I think his grain might be too high in starch, but I'm not sure how much is too much. I keep researching ways to get weight on him, but I'm frustrated and frazzled as to what to do. I've heard people rave about the "wonders" of SafeChoice, and had thought of maybe adding that to his grain or some type of alfalfa based pellet. We had him on rice bran and beet pulp at one point and he did put some weight on, but not enough.

I appologize for the length. Any help would be greatly appreciated! He means the world to me and I want him as healthy as can be! Thanks everyone!

Where are you from? Upstate New York

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: how to put weight on

Hello Megan,

From what you describe, his main problem is not getting enough forage. Horses are designed to graze 24 hours a day and if they go for hours without chewing they will not only lose weight, but they will also develop ulcers and may even colic. It is very stressful and he may be pushed aside from the little he's getting by the other heftier horses.

Yes, give him alfalfa -- in fact, you can get rid of the sweet feed with corn, all together. Corn is a no-no for horses -- it does not get digested well in the foregut and travels to the hindgut, were the bacteria ferment it to lactic acid. The result is laminitis.

Why not give him alfalfa pellets, along with a flaxseed meal based vitamin/mineral supplement such as Glanzen -- give him 3 full scoops per day (6 ounces by weight).

And, definitely add Ration Plus to his diet to help those bacterial flora stay in good shape. That way he'll derive calories from the hay that he's eating.

If you're not able to feed him enough hay so he doesn't ever run out and that there's some left over in the morning, then I would recommend finding another barn where the managers have a working knowledge of a horse's anatomy.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr. Getty,
Thank you for confirming my thoughts (and so quickly)! I am picking up Glanzen and Ration Plus this weekend, as well as some good quality hay just for him...and I already started him on alfalfa pellets to start him off. He's the dominant horse in the field so everybody leaves his food alone (makes things a little easier :) !!) I hope that within the next month or two I will be writing telling you how nice and round he is :) I will keep you posted on his progress!!! Thank you so much again for all of your advice!

Megan

Where are you from? Upstate New York

How did you locate this forum? web search

Excellent, Megan! Yes, please do keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO