Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glanzen Lite vz Glanzen Complete

Hi Dr Getty! I am back with more questions!

I have been feeding G-Lite for 2 years now, but when my vet last saw my mares, he wanted me to add more Omega3 to their diet as their skin is somewhat dry. I can find no way to do this except by changing to G-Complete. Do you have any suggestions or is there no reason to not change? I am concerned about the calories in a 6oz. feeding, will that be an issue?

BTW: both mares (1 is 24!) look great, feet are really tough etc. And I am considering buying a 2 year old Kiger filly (not off the Range)and wondered if G-Complete would work for her also?

Thanks,
Penny Pickett

Where are you from? Oregon, USA

How did you locate this forum? Have been here many times!

Re: Glanzen Lite vz Glanzen Complete

Hi Again, Dr Getty.

Since I am almost out of G-Lite and needed to get an order started, I went ahead & ordered the G-Complete with SE. Hopefully it will add enough Omega 3 to these dry skinned horses of mine.

BTW: the "barefoot" trimmer was here to day and the TB mare with the horrible feet 2 years ago, had almost perfect feet and charging around on the gravel road that she could not walk on a year ago. Between the Glanzen & the "barefoot trim", she has the best feet she has ever had, even with shoes on!

Thanks for the advice & help thru the past 2 years,

Penny

Where are you from? Oregon, USA

How did you locate this forum? Have been here many times!

Re: Glanzen Lite vz Glanzen Complete

Hi Penny,

Thanks for the wonderful feedback. Glanzen Complete is absolutely wonderful for so many reasons and healthy skin is an added bonus. When the skin and haircoat are in good condition, it means that the inside is doing well. The body uses nutrients in order of priority and healthy vital organs, digestion, immune function, etc. take precedence to skin, hair, and hooves. So, there are plenty of nutrients to go around when the outside tissues are doing well.

Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO