Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Aged Stallion with Renal Failure

My stallion is 26 years old and has been loosing weight without much of an appetite. My vet has worked his teeth and did a rectal exam and found nothing to suggest a growth. Blood tests revealed that he has renal failure. He said to keep the protein level below 10% and keep him on grass hay. I have started him on B12 injections every 5-7 days. I just want to encourage him to eat as much as possible to keep his weight up. I know it is just a matter of time but I want to do all I can to keep him comfortable. Any suggestions on what to feed would be appreciated. Thanks!

Where are you from? New Mexico

How did you locate this forum? I have been here before for advice and don't remember how I found you

Re: Aged Stallion with Renal Failure

Hello Lynn,

Thank you for writing about your fellow and I am very sorry to hear about his illness.

I have two recommendations for you to help his appetite and his ability to get more calories from his hay. The first is Ration Plus -- this is a prebiotic that will keep the microbes in his hind gut healthy. This will improve forage digestion and therefore, help him maintain his weight.

The second suggestion, in addition to Ration Plus, is BPlex. This is simply a B Complex and can be fed along with the B12 injections. There are 8 B vitamins and they work together to improve appetite and digestion (among other things).

Yes, low protein is important, along with easy access to a consistent supply of clean water. A plain, white salt block is also important.

Keep me posted,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

My stallion has been eating better since I contacted you. He is getting a prebiotic along with a sweet feed ( 9% protein) which he seems to really enjoy. I will get some BPlex as I think the B 12 shots have been what has peaked his appetite. He has white salt and all the clean water he wants and he is drinking well. He is eating his grass hay but not cleaning it up as he use to.I don't know what to really expect with his condition so I need to talk to my vet and let him know how he is doing. Thank you for your support and suggestions

Lynn (___~~
< <

Where are you from? New Mexico

How did you locate this forum? I have been here before for advice and don't remember how I found you

Hi Lynn,

I'm glad to hear he's doing better. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO