Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pony Foundered

Hi Dr. Getty. I just want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to you for your advice back in May regarding Laminitis of my Welsh Pony. She did founder and was in a very bad way, (we even considered putting her down). I spoke to everyone I possibly could about this disease, and everyone had different opinions. After my vet told me to starve her, then you told me the opposite, to give her as much hay as she liked, I was really worried about conflicting advice. Anyway, my farrier mostly agreed with what you recommended, (except he told me to cut back on her hay a bit). So between you and my wonderful farrier, this little Mare is as happy as a "pig in S...t". The only thing now, is she has her whole personality back...and more.... and is being very naughty at times. Its basically because she is locked up more often and only let out into the paddock for 1 hour a day (mornings only) on our lush pasture. We have lived in a drought for the past 3 years, and now the heavens have opened, there is grass everywhere. But we are being extremely careful, and next week this little girl is going to start being ridden again by children having lessons. Thank you so much for your FREE advice. Muchly appreciated, from Lisa Down Under! PS I have told heaps of people about your website!

Where are you from? Australia

How did you locate this forum? by accident

Re: Pony Foundered

Hi Lisa!

That is fabulous news! I am so pleased to have been a part of saving your pony.

Keep up the fine work!

Thanks for writing to let me know,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

I'm sure every situation is different, but I also have a Welsh pony that has foundered and have dealt with flair ups and grazing issues. For nearly a year now my pony has had free pasture access with my horses and is happy again. She is able to have this free access because she wears a grazing muzzle at all times. It works. Before the muzzle I had to separate her in a grass free area and feed hay only. Now she forages with the herd and is no longer stressed from being isolated. ** We did use a jig saw to make the grazing hole just a tad bigger since the quarter size opening was a little too small and she was really upset. It's all good now and she's a happy girl and has not had any more episodes.

Where are you from? North Carolina Outer Banks

How did you locate this forum? Yahoo search for low starch feeds

Hi Gigi!

Thanks for sharing your excellent results with the grazing muzzle. For many horses, the muzzle is stressful, which would defeat the purpose (since stress causes weight gain). But, if the hole is large enough, it satifies their need to graze and slows down their intake just enough to help with overconsumption of sugar-rich grasses.

I've had excellent success with the Deluxe Grazing Muzzle since it is the most humane one I've found.

But, in general, if a grazing muzzle does not cause stress, it can be worth using. If a horse is not happy with it, however, it's best to avoid the muzzle.

Keep up the fine work!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO