Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Severe weight loss on a retired 7 yr old thoroughbred gelding

Hello Dr. Getty,
I am hoping you can help me. I just purchased a 7 year old OTTB gelding in April. He looked great when I got him. Turned him out in the field with my other horses for a week. He did not adjust to the pasture life as I had hoped. During his transisition while out with the other horses, some of the other horses have kicked and bullied him as well. Due to this he has lost a considerable amount of weight. I know it's common for retired race horses to lose weight once resuced because while racing the horses are usually injected with steroids and now he's off the steroids so that has made him lose weight as well. But my concern is that he is starting to regain weight and his lower half is looking really well, but I am having trouble getting the weight to stick to his withers,along his back and hind quarters as well as his upper ribs. We are feeding him unlimited amounts of hay, senior feed grain in the am and pm anlong with vitamin B supplement and rice bran mash. I was wondering what you suggest for aid to this poor guy as my heart just goes out for him and I pray for God's healing touch every single day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Where are you from? Shinglehouse, PA

How did you locate this forum? Search engine

Re: Severe weight loss on a retired 7 yr old thoroughbred gelding

Hello Joellen,

Thank you for writing about your fellow. I understand your situation and while it will take some patience, he will recover and gain weight. First thing to consider is that most retired race horses have ulcers. So, feeding hay 24/7 is the most important thing you can do. I am very pleased to hear that you are already doing this.

I would add Ration Plus to his diet -- this will help him gain weight by boosting the health of the bacterial flora in his hind gut. As a result, he will derive more calories from his forage, and gain weight.

To assist you further, I would need to know more. Please consider a personal phone consultation. That way I can approach his situation from a holistic perspective and give you the best feeding approach.

In the meantime, there are two other products I recommend. The first is Hard Keeper, to assist him with gaining weight. The second is Amiquell, for his digestive tract.

So, let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO