Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Quiessence and Glanzen Complete

I also wanted to add that the nervousness isn't the only reason I want to give the supplement. I want to be sure they are all getting the proper nutrition and was looking for a good all around supplement which is why I thought the Glanzen Complete looked good. The Quiessence looked like it may help a little more with the nervousness issue.

Thanks again!

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: Quiessence and Glanzen Complete

Hi Tracy,

Thank you for writing about your horses. Yes, Quiessence would be my first choice for the behavior you're describing since more horses do not get enough magnesium.

And, to fill in the gaps, Glanzen Complete would be excellent for a hay diet.

The third aspect of behavior, in terms of nutritional needs, is to feed your horse the way nature intended -- and that is to allow grazing 24/7. Since your horses are not on turnout, that translates into letting them have all the hay they want. If this is not allowed, they are uncomfortable, stressed, and even in pain because the stomach produces acid constantly. Unlike our stomachs that only secrete acid when we eat, horses' stomachs release acid all the time and they do this because they are meant to eat all the time. Just pass by any pasture where there are horses -- and you'll see their heads to the ground virtually all day.

So, hay 24/7, additional magnesium, and Glanzen Complete to offer additional nutrients. If you are feeding the SafeChoice according to directions, you'll want to feed less Glanzen Complete, but most people do not feed as much commerical feed as recommended, so a supplement is useful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

P.S. If you find that you'd like to go over each horse individually, please consider a personal phone visit so I can address each need and customize a feeding plan.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO