Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Horse boarding

I am a boarding stable manager and I have to say sorry, I hear alot of horror stories and that helps me be better at my job..If the horse needs more hay..give it. I believe the horse's health and happiness it #1. I hope you can find a stable where the manager thinks the same.

Where are you from? Oregon

How did you locate this forum? surfing the web

Hi Jenn,

You are a rare breed -- a precious gem!

It never ceases to amaze me how many barn managers feed horses several "meals" each day and allow them to go for hours without anything to eat. These horses are generally finished eating by 10:00 pm and do not get anything else until morning. They should have hay left over in the morning -- that's the only way to know that enough hay is being fed.

Horses are not people. We sleep for several hours in a row and therefore do not need to eat during the night. Horses do not sleep for more than a few minutes at a time and need to keep their digestive systems moving. They also need to chew to produce saliva, in order to neutralize the stomach acid that is continually flowing. (Our stomachs only release acid when there's food present -- not so for horses.)

Horses need to be understood for the creatures they are -- they are very unusual... they are not ruminants like cows or sheep, and not non-rumuninants like people, dogs and cats. They are herbivorous non-ruminants, meaning they only eat plant products which of course, are mostly fiber. They digest this fiber in the hind gut where bacteria live to produce the necessary enzymes. And, because it is toward the end of the digestive tract where this happens, they need A LOT of forage -- far more than a cow would need. The only way to get enough is to graze continuously. If given the chance, that's what they do in a natural setting. Pass by any pasture with horses -- their heads are to the ground grazing. That's because they NEED TO GRAZE constantly. They rest for approximately 2 hours during a 24 hour period but not all at once.

I am writing this for the benefit of those barn managers who stall animals for more than 20 hours each day and perhaps haven't thought through the nature of a horse's digestive needs.

Lack of attention to this essential need will lead to colic episodes, ulcers, laminitis, and behavioral problems.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

I offer and perfer to have all the horses out 24/7 from spring to fall (depending on temp) older horses come in during the hot part of the day. Winter I try to have the horses out for at least 8hrs, They are given a smaller breakfast and any left overs are saved (if they can) and dinner time they are given alot ontop of leftovers. We don't have severe weather and there is always grass in paddocks. If I have to keep them in due to bad weather I break up the meals so they are given about 4 different meals to reduce waste. I have no horse in my barn that has a bad habit ie. cribbing or chewing. I encourage toys and salt links in all stalls. I do love my job.

sorry typed so fast....thank you Dr. Getty for the complement I to wish more took the horses health and happiness more serousely...

Hi Jenn,

Keep up the very fine work! And spread the word to other barn managers. This is a problem that I encounter with 90% of boarded horses and with your help and others like you, we can reduce this percentage and help our precious equine friends.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO