Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: When is it IR versus just plain fat?!

Hi Dr. Getty!

Thank you for the reply and I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Summer has a way of going by at warp speed.

I will call the feed store to see if I can find the Triple Crown and the Quiessence is on order!

Lilly has also started cart training...my vet said it's great work for the stifles (another long standing issue with her) and it will make her move and WORK!

The hay I have is an alfalfa/grass mix...and probably more alfalfa. Is this OK for free choice? Her pasture mate is an 18 year old ex-harness racer who would certainly do well with free choice, so no concerns there. I just want to double check because of the alfalfa. I'd hate to switch hay suppliers...I spent two years getting moldy yucky hay until I finally found this lady 1 year ago. Her hay is consistantly good, no mold and no waste!

I'm excited to have a starting place and Lilly and I both appreciate it! Hopefully in a month I can write back and tell you how fabulous she looks!

Where are you from? Wisconsin

How did you locate this forum? google

Hi Lilly's Mom,

As long as the hay does not contain more than half alfalfa, you're ok to feed free choice. More than 50% alfalfa can be problematic because it can lead to enteroliths, and the excess protein can be hard on the liver and kidneys.

Have your hay analyzed for its starch and sugar content to make certain that it is not too high for an insulin resistant horse. You can contact your local county extension service for this or contact Equi-Analtyical Labs for assistance.

If you need help with evaluating your results, feel free to set up a personal phone consultation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty,

Just wanted to give you a quick update:

The Quiessence arrived (thank you very much!) and Lilly got her first dose that night. After about 4 days, I've already noticed her muscles are much more relaxed. The only way I can explain it is that touching her before was like touching a blown up balloon..very taunt/tight...today I touched her and she's flabby and soft... I have no idea if the Quiessence works that fast, but it's a huge difference! She's still her flightly, silly self though...she's been that way her whole life, so I don't expect much change there, LOL!

I have her switching to the Triple Crown Low starch...should be completely off the sweet feed by next week...AND I'm getting the hay tested soon (have to find a core puncher...I had no idea)

My friend with the IR horse is still worried about keeping her on alfalfa mix hay...she's convinced Lilly will founder by winter. The hay analysis will answer all those questions. I think I would like to do a phone consult when I have those results.

Here's the chubby monkey, I'll try to post after pictures soon!

If that doesn't work, here's the link:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/TWHGAIT/booger.jpg

Thank you again! I'll keep you posted!!

Where are you from? Wisconsin

Hi Lilly's Mom!

Fabulous news! Yes, Quiessence can work very quickly in making positive behavioral and muscular changes when a horse has a borderline deficiency. So, magnesium was definitely the issue with your horse since it worked so quickly.

Thanks for the picture -- what a sweetie -- a beautiful gal!

You really don't need a core puncher for the hay analysis. Just take small amounts from various sections of the hay bale.

Enjoyed the update!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO