Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Leukocytoclastic Vasculitis

Hello Angela,

While we don't know the cause of leukocytoclastic vasculitis, it appears to be an auto-immune disorder. It can also be caused by a staph infection, which should be treated with antibiotics.

Nutritionally, you want to modulate the immune system by reducing the amount of eicosanoid production, and hence reduce inflammation.

Omega 3 fatty acids found in flaxseed meal are potent immunomodulators. So, if you are not already feeding flax, I recommend adding Nutra Flax to your horse's diet. Feed 6 ounces (three of the provided scoops) per day.

If you are giving your horse an antibiotic, it is important to provide a potent probiotic to replace the bacteria that are lost in the hind gut.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks Dr. Getty. I will add the Flax. When Texas A&M did the biopsy they also did a bacterial culture which came back clean. There was no sign of infection so no need for antibiotics. I have had the best luck so far just keeping his legs clean and dry. I also use white polo wraps when he goes outside everyday as LV appears to have a UV component.

Thanks as always for your time. You provide an invaluble service here and I really appreciate this site!

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Hi Angela,

Glad to help. Please keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO