Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Transition grass hay to alfalfa pellets

Hi Veronica,

The reason the grain hay had an effect on his behavior is likely due to its very high starch content. Many horses have a behavioral response to high starch diets due to changes in blood sugar levels.

But, this situation is very different than the one you are proposing. I'm not clear why you would consider eliminating grass hay and replacing it with alfalfa pellets. This is not a wise decision. First, alfalfa pellets, or any pellets for that matter, cannot replace eating hay. They do not have enough fiber to replace hay consumption. And they are consumed too quickly to be safe for free choice consumption (can cause choke and colic).

Secondly, 100% alfalfa is not desirable and can be dangerous. Alfalfa is very high in protein, and while I recommend adding some alfalfa (say 30%) to the diet to improve protein quality, too much alfalfa can lead to kidney and liver damage, and enteroliths.

Your horse needs hay, all the hay he wants, and alfalfa pellets can be added to the diet as a meal to improve the diet. But, they should not be considered as the only forage source.

Your horse's behavior was due to starch, not protein. Alfalfa is not the problem, grain was. And you eliminated that issue when you removed the majority of grain from his diet. You're still feeding some cereal grain (the oats in Strategy) which may be fine if he has the caloric need. But, too much (from grain hay) was obviously an issue.

So, my recommendation.... stick with grass hay, and add some commercial feed and alfalfa pellets to meet his energy (from exercise) needs. If this barn only feeds alfalfa pellets, and there is no pasture, then I strongly suggest finding another barn.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO