Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
B-Plex vs. Quiessence

Hi Dr. Getty and all others with any advice,

Thank You for all the information you offer on your website. I just discovered it yesterday and have been reading many of the discussions you present there.

I have a question regarding my 8-yr-old Morab gelding who is generally pretty calm around the pasture and barn, but, when riding him, tends to be quite spooky and, as my dressage instructer describes him, a very "looky-looky" horse, who always seems to be looking for something to spook at when I'm riding him. I am a fairly confident rider I feel, and try to make him feel relaxed and calm and keep his attention, but he just seems like he will spook at the least little thing, especially when I'm trail riding him....like a weed blowing in the breeze or a butterfly flying by!!

I've read both blogs and your product descriptions on B-Plex and Quiessence and would like to know your opinion regarding which of the two you feel would best help my gelding with his spookiness. Although he is a gelding I am presently feeding him a nice pelleted feed called Mare and Maintenance, only about 1 1/2 pounds a day, he has 24/7 complete pasture turnout, and I ride him on average 4 times a week, - practicing my dressage exercises and trail riding. One additional thing is that he seems to be a very itchy horse. I am real attentive to grooming him every day. He doesn't seem to have dry or flacky skin, he's just quite itchy and will rub his neck, sides and hind end on the fences and barn walls sometimes.

Thank You for any advice you might give me.

Charles

Where are you from? Lewiston, MN

How did you locate this forum? searching for horse nutrition/supplements

Re: B-Plex vs. Quiessence

Hello Charles,

Thank you for writing. I have three recommendations for you.

The first is Quiessence, since most horses do not get enough magnesium. Feed one scoop per 500 lbs of body weight.

The second one, to be fed with Quiessence is Glanzen. This will provide additional B vitamins and nutrients to fill in the gaps in his diet. It is in a flaxseed meal base, which will give him Omega 3 fatty acids. This will be very helpful for his skin.

If you just want to provide omega 3s, and would like to hold off on a vitamin/mineral supplement such as Glanzen, then simply go with Nutra Flax. But, I believe he'll benefit more from Glanzen.

And finally, I should mention the benefits of Spirulina for any allergies he's experiencing. I would first go with the flaxseed meal (Glanzen or Nutra Flax) for a few months and then consider giving him Spirulina.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted on his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank You very much, Dr. Getty, for replying to and advising me regarding my questions pertaining to my Morab gelding. I much appreciate your help and will be ordering the Quiessence and Glanzen today.

I will keep in touch with news regarding how these products have helped my horse.

Best Regards!
Charles

Hello Charles,

Glad to help. The behavioral issues will likely right themselves first. The skin will take more time. Keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO