Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Can we talk about Linpro?

Ok so my two mares are currently being fed nutrena safe choice and BS hay stretcher pellets. One is an easy keeper the other can get a little lanky when work gets harder. They are both trail horses that do shorter rides during the week and can do 12-18 mile rides on the weekends. They get most of the winter off if the footing is bad.

Right now one gets 3 pounds of safe choice a day, the other gets about 1.5 a day and they get 4 pounds hay stretcher a day. They are fed a locally grown grass hay and they get about 15-20 pounds of hay a day. I can't say that they both get equal amounts of hay because they share a corral. They also get 2 ounces of Omega Horseshine and 1 scoop of accel a day along with additional natural vitamin e supplement and a tsp of salt. They are able to do as they please 27/7. We do not have pasture.

I was wondering, could I get rid of the accel and omega horseshine and just feed Linpro and get the same benefits? Was even thinking of getting rid of the safe choice...

Where are you from? NH

How did you locate this forum? COTH

Re: Can we talk about Linpro?

Hello JS,

Actually, Accel is a better vitamin/mineral supplement than LinPro. But, LinPro provides omega 3 fatty acids.

So, another suggestion would be to go with Glanzen Complete, to provide omega 3s from Flaxseed (Omega Horseshine contains oats, which is not appropriate for an easy keeper) and a complete complement of vitamins and minerals. It also provides more vitamin E, which your horses need based on their activity level.

You may already be doing this, but to keep one horse from "stealing" hay from another, try placing three of four piles of hay around the paddock, so your horse than tends to lose weight, gets his fair share.

So, with Glanzen Complete, you would no longer need the Omega Horseshine or the Accel. And, Safe Choice would only be necessary if your underweight horse is not able to hold his weight with hay and hay stretcher pellets. Add alfalfa to the diet, as well, to boost the overall quality protein. I like a 30/70 mix of alfalfa/grass hay.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO