Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Low Carb/Sugar Feeds

anyone have any suggestions?

Where are you from? Tennessee (Gallatin)

How did you locate this forum? research

Re: Low Carb/Sugar Fees

Hi Rene,

Thank you for your patience -- I try to get back to everyone's questions within 7 days.

I understand your concern about the cost of feed. And, I agree with you about the Safe Choice. I have found it to be inconsistent in quality. Triple Crown Complete is really not a good feed for a horse that is prone toward laminitis since it is too high in sugar and starch.

A really easy and more economical way to go would be to feed beet pulp along with some alfalfa pellets. And add to it a complete vitamin/mineral supplement that also takes care of hooves. Take a look at Glanzen Complete if your horse is strictly on hay, or Glanzen if your horse gets some pasture.

Additional magnesium may or may not be appropriate for your horse but if he is overweight, he will benefit from a magnesium/chromium supplement called Quiessence.

This way you can do away with the commercial feeds, and the Farrier's formula and provide the benefit of a hoof supplement, additional omega 3s (very important for overall health including hooves and immune function), and the benefit of Lamina Saver by adding magnesium and chromium.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you so much for your reply. We will give this a try. Neither of our guys are overweight. We try to keep the foundered guy a little on the light side. Our easy keeper will gain weight looking at food ! We watch him carefully. As far as the supplements go, we have pasture now, but in the winter they are basically just getting hay. Should we start them with the Glanzen Complete and then switch to the Glanzen in the spring? How would we make the determination if additional magnesium is needed? Thanks again Dr. Getty, we really appreciate your insight.

Where are you from? Tennessee (Gallatin)

How did you locate this forum? research

Hi Rene,

Yes, while they are getting mostly hay, Glanzen Complete would be the best choice. In the spring, however, they will have fresh grass, which provides nutrients that are normally lost in hay. So, Glanzen will nicely fill in any gaps.

Most horses do not get enough magnesium and often their behavior changes as a result. So, if you notice any irritability, or lack of concentration, or your horses are easily startled by things that didn't used to bother them, consider adding Quiessence to the diet. Also, if your easy keeper has fat deposits -- cresty neck, a crease going down the back, fat deposits on rump or above the eyes ... that's an indication of insulin resistance and magnesium will help lower circulating insulin levels.

Hope this is helpful. Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO