Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Am I over supplementing?

My three horses are healthy, sound, happy and in good condition. They have terrific coats, hooves, body weight, muscle, appetites and performance and are very charismatic and feel good. I ask if I am feeding to much because this is what the two Jumper geldings eat:
AM and PM: 1 Scoop mix of XTN and Ultium, the reason the Ultium is mixed in is because the TB gelding likes the pellets in there to make it more extruded like. and 1/2 scoop Beet Pulp wet.

The eat a lunch of 1 scoop of the mix as well

They eat free choice hay or grass pasture during drazing months.

Supplements as follows: Corta Flx, Mirra Coat, Apple A Day, CW wormer, Red Cell and 1 lb rice bran.

Do you think I'm doing any harm? They look fantastic and really are doing well but I want to make sure, my vet says its fine but I still get nervous. He says especially because the one Grand Prix horse is 18 years old, the extra nutrition helps him and he also has a bone cyst on his jaw that drains alot out of him because it is infected so the Red cell keeps him boosted.

My mare I am not as worried about as she only eats 1/2 scoop Legends Performance Feed (changed her from Safechoice) and 1/2 scoop hay stretcher twice daily plus mostly free choice hay.

They have access to water and salt at all times and work about 1 hr pr day each w/t/c and jumping. Thanks!
P.S.

Where are you from? New York

How did you locate this forum? Yahoo

Re: Am I over supplementing?

Hi Amanda,

I think you're doing a fine job. There is only one supplement that I don't feel is good -- Red Cell. This is very high in iron and horses do not need iron supplementation. They get plenty in their hay. Too much iron can cause zinc and copper to become deficient. So, if you feel the need for a blood builder, go with PreOx. This will provide antioxidants and B vitamins, without added iron.

The Mirra Coat contains a fair amount of soybean oil, which can cause inflammation. So, just keep that in mind if you notice any muscle or joint soreness. Another choice would be simple flaxseed meal -- Nutra Flax.

Thanks for writing. Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hello! Thanks for your response!
I have a question, with the Red Cell, the only thing I like about it (the one gelding and the mare don't have it, they eat Maxum crumbles which are multivitamins at the lowest dose) the thing I like is the appetite stimulant, the one gelding is an 18 yr old TB jumper who is in unbelievable health and fitness but can go off feed (usually his breakfast and lunch) because of his high strung attitude and he also has an infected bone cyst that I'm afraid drains alot out of him would I still get the same effect with the product u reccommended? He only recieves the lowest dosage of Red Cell and hasn't had any complications, only really good appretite and outlook
i havnt exsperienced any soreness from the horses on the mirra coat, again I feed just one scoop which is the lowest dose. They get very very good grain so I don't want to over do it but I want them to be healthy and thrive, thanks!!!

Hi Amanda,

The appetite stimulating property of Red Cell comes from the B Vitamins. B vitamins have a multitude of functions and one is to improve the digestive function and appetite.

PreOx has a high amount of B vitamins, so this would solve that problem, as well, without the danger of added iron.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO