Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: thin older horse, would this be OK to feed?

I also wanted to add that I feed him about 1.5# alfalfa pellets w/ his feed, , i feed him 1/2 this in the am, other half in the pm, and he is on pasture 24/7
and I do feed him twice a day, so the figures I gave you are PER Day, not per feeding.. thanks

Where are you from? MN

How did you locate this forum? Through a search about different feeds

Hi Kristy,

Thank you for writing. I am not an equine dentist, so I cannot assist you with the dental diagnosis shorthand. However, from a nutritional perspective, I highly recommend Ration Plus to help him gain weight by improving the digestion of forage in his hind gut.

As far as the rest of his diet is concerned, it would be helpful to eliminate the soybean oil since this causes inflammation to his aging joints. In order to best advise you on the specific ingredients and amounts, you may find a personal phone visit worthwhile. This way, I could spend an hour or more on the phone with you going over the big picture -- his history, medical treatments, exercise, environment, etc. to customize a feeding plan for him. So, please let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Is soy oil the same as soy bean oil, I called the feed store I get it from and they said its soy oil? Thanks

Where are you from? mn

Hi Kristy,

I answered you personally on this, but for the benefit of my readers, I wrote:

Soy oil and soybean oil are the same thing. I generally do not recommend soybean oil because it is very high in omega 6 fatty acids and causes inflammation. So, if you have a horse that has sore joints or muscles or any injury, it is best to avoid soybean oil.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO