Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
colt diarrehea

Hi Dr Getty,i have a colt 6 1/2 months old that i have had on a bran mash since he was born i also add a splash of apple cider vin.to it each day, i stopped giveing it to him a few weeks ago and we also ran out of orchard grass at about the same time so he is getting a teft hay or bermuda grass with his alfalfa,now he has had some runny poo and i thought maybe it was from the change in grass hay but i wonder if it might have something to do with him not getting the bran anymore,what do you think??i have stopped giving him any of the alfalfa and the teft hay and just feeding him bermuda trying to see what the cause is( process of elimenation )But so fare nothing has changed. should i give him the bran again??THANKS

Where are you from? calif.

Re: colt diarrehea

HI Judy,

Any time the diet changes, it takes time for the bacterial flora in the hind gut to readjust. This can result in diarrhea and sometimes in colic, so changing the diet very slowly is the key to colic prevention.

Bran mashes are not necessary and can be harmful if not given consistently, for the same reason I mentioned above -- the need for the bacteria to readjust every time something new is introduced. But, even if you gave bran consistently, every day, it contains more phosphorus than calcium, which can be dangerous -- especially in growing horses.

OK, having said that... what is best for the current situation? I would highly recommend adding Ration Plus to the diet. This prebiotic (no live microbes like a probiotic) boosts the health of the existing bacteria, thereby helping them better adjust to hay changes and digest the forage more efficiently.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for the reply,My colts diarreha is gone now and iam going to slowly take him off the bran,When i gave it back to him it took only a day for him to have good poo again,but after reading your answer i will be taking him off it,how long should i take to make this ajustment?Thank you!

Hi Judy,

You can discontinue it right away -- there is no need to wean him off of bran.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO