Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
BRAN??IS IT TO HARSH TO FEED TO HORSES??

Hi Dr Getty,I hope you can help clear up a question i have concerning bran.I was told that i should not feed bran to my horse or colt because it is to harsh on a horses gut,they said because it is a fiber its like sand paper on them,i feed alittle every day of wheat bran is this bad for them? Thank you for your help.

Where are you from? calif.

Re: BRAN??IS IT TO HARSH TO FEED TO HORSES??

Hi Judy,

No, bran is not harsh and it doesn't have a laxative effect like so many people state. It causes diarrhea in many horses because people give it only once a week, not giving the bacteria time to readjust to the new feed. This causes gastrointestinal irritation, causing more fluid to flood the large intestine, leading to loose manure. And, in this scenario, colic is a real risk (and can be deadly, as a recent client of mine unfortunately experienced with her horse that was fed a weekly bran mash).

As I mentioned in your previous question, bran is also very high in phophorus and very low in calcium. This inverted ratio is harmful to bones.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you Dr Getty,i will be slowly taking him off the bran,i guess within a week if i give him less of it every day,What do you think??

Hi Judy,

By now you've probably stopped it all together -- and that's fine -- no need to keep reducing the amount. Just discontinue feeding it.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO