Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
scored hay

Hi Dr Getty,i bought some teft grass hay from my feed store that they had scored,what should i look for in this to be sure it is ok for 24/7 feeding??

Where are you from? calif.

Re: scored hay

Hi Judy,

Teff hay is poor in quality -- low in protein, and very high in starch since it is a grain hay. I would not feed it to a growing horse since the high starch will increase osteopathic disorders, and the low protein will stunt growth.

I strongly advise having it tested before feeding.

I'm not sure what you mean by "scored."

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi dr getty,the feed store i bought this teft hay from had it tested at DAIRY ONE FORAGE LABORATORYS,it shows that the protien is at 12.9 and the starch is at 3.5 the ESC is at 7.9 are these not good numbers ??

Hi Judy,

Yes, those are excellent numbers regarding starch and sugar.

What is the lysine level?

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr Getty,The lysine level is .45 iam not sure what this is so can you tell me if that is good or bad number.

Hi Judy,

Well, well, this hay is better than I thought! .45% of Lysine is fine for many horses. Let's say that you're feeding 20 lbs of this hay. That translates into 41 grams of lysine (20 lbs X 454 g/lb X .0045). This is good for an adult horse with moderate exercise. For a growing horse, however, it's a bit low, so extra supplementation would be necessary to bring the lysine level up to at least 44 grams per day.

Take a look at the RFV -- Relative Feed Value. It should be at least 100.

All the best,

Dr. Getty