Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
yearling nutrition

Hi,
I have a yearling filly that has good body weight, she is on the pasture all day, and Is feed 8lbs of Omolene 200 and Equishine pellets. She also has a free choice mineral block. Her coat has dappled since I got her about three months ago. I have never owned a growing horse before so I am just trying to make sure that I am not forgetting anything. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Where are you from? USA

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: yearling nutrition

Hi Ashley,

I do not like to feed growing horses a feed that is high in starch and sugar such as Omelene. It can increase the risk of developing osteopathic disorders.

A low starch feed is a much better way to go, along with alfalfa hay, cubes, or pellets. Adding additional flaxseed meal is also beneficial, such as Nutra Flax.

Depending on the lysine level in your hay, you should also consider adding Lysine to the diet, since this essential amino acid is needed in higher quantity during growth.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO