Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding a weanling

I have a 7 month old quarter horse colt, that i am feeding alfalfa pellets, strategy gx and free feeding pasture grass hay, he has a white salt block available also, he is a well muscled colt and i want to make sure he gets all the vitamins and feed he needs so he will grow big and be heavy muscled..
I just don't wan to over feed him and blow out his legs, i have had several people give me advice on what and how much to feed, he is doing great on this feed program but i am not sure if i am over feeding him
I am giving him a scoop in a half of strategy and a scoop to a scoop in a half of alfalfa pellets in the am and pm. And hi keep hay in his manger most of the time..
Do you think that this is to much protien /feed for him? strategy is 14% prot. and the pellets are 16%
thanks Kim

Where are you from? oroville, ca

How did you locate this forum? googled it

Re: feeding a weanling

Hi Kim,

Thank you for writing. I'm not particularly fond on feeding a sweet, high starch feed to a growing horse because it can create osteopathic disorders. You'd be much better off feeding beet pulp, along with the alfalfa pellets, and a good, comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement such as

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

ok such as?? what do you suggest? I was told that strategy is comparable to omelene 300...
and i have used it for years on all my horses,
I just don't want o be feeding all this supplements that i have to mix, but i also what him to grow tall and healthy.. any suggestions
i am from northern California..
Kim

Where are you from? oroville, ca

How did you locate this forum? googled it

Hi Kim,

Take a look at Triple Crown Growth. It does contain molasses but it is better for a growing horse than Strategy.

And, offer grass hay, along with alfalfa.

If you don't have access to Triple Crown, see what other brands you have available besides Purina and I can look at them to see which product is best for you.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO