Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hoof problems

Dear Dr. Getty's

I purchased a 7yr old gelding, appendix about 3 years ago for my daughter. When he came to us, he had bad feet so we tried letting him go bare foot to allow the hoof to grow out but he was very lame so the vet told us we needed to put shoes back on him. I have been using the same farrier for the past 2+ years and I still have hoof problems. Every time I discuss his feet with the farrier, he blames their condition on wet conditions but we have several other horses at the barn who are shoed by other farriers and their feet are fine. His toe is always cracked, he barely has any frog or sole. I pick his feet and apply hoof products (tuff stuff, thrush buster sole paint, etc...) 2-3 times every week. A friend told me about a product called "Kombat Boot", it's a supplement for feet, digestion etc... Are you familiar with the product? Is this something I should try or should I be looking for a new farrier. I just want his feet to get better. What do you suggest?

Thanks
Patty

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Hoof problems

I had the same issue with my horse. Cracks and a long toe, low heel. My farrier of the time blamed it on Florida's inconsistent weather, but I wasn't happy so I found a new farrier and started using Kopertox and Thrushbuster whenever it is wet and Shur Hoof Dressing whenever it is dry. The combination of these treatments and my new farrier have fixed the problem! I suggest trying a new farrier, because your farrier should work to fix the problems of your horse, not blame them on an outside factor. To take care of that outside factor, you use treatments. Hope this helps

Hi Patty and Ellen,

A good hoof supplement is a must and while I'm not familiar with the one you mentioned, I highly recommend BioFlax Ultra because it is high in necessary hoof-growth nutrients.

Taking care of the outside of the hoof by preventing thrush and using hoof coat products, is worthwhile. But, an "inside, out" approach is vital in order to provide the nutritional building blocks for new hoof tissue.

I had an Appendix in Texas that came to me with very bad hooves. I took off her shoes, kept her feet dry to prevent thrush, and gave her BioFlax Ultra. In three months, her hoof wall grew 1/4 of an inch and within 6 months, the cracks were all trimmed away, replaced by new healthy hoof growth.

It's also important, I should add, that your horse receive a good quality protein source. Grass hay should be supplemented with alfalfa, either as hay, cubes or pellets. Alfalfa is a legume and complements the protein content in grasses, to create a high quality protein. This provides your horse with the amino acid building blocks to produce new body proteins (in this case, hoof tissue).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Ellen and Dr. Gettys

Thank you for the advice, I thought he was getting a good diet with what we feed. I feed alfalfa/timothy hay and he is fed Triple Crown - Complete 11% feed 2 x daily. I have been using the right balance hoof treats (for about the past year)which I thought had the right ingredients but he still has problems. Along with the toe cracks, he was stepping short on his front feet, so my farrier put pads on the front and he is still short so I had the vet check him. She thinks it is the rear feet and told me he needed shoes on the back feet because he is wearing the frog and may have bruised sole. Where do I go from here?

Thanks

Hi Patty,

Yes, looks like you're doing fine, with the exception of an added hoof supplement.

If you are feeding the Triple Crown feed according to directions, go with BioFlax 20. If you're feeding less than recommended, go with BioFlax Ultra.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO