Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 8mo AQHA filly

Hi Missy,

My first suggestion would be to stop feeding oats. High starch feeds are potentially harmful to growing horses since they increase the risk of osteopathic disorders.

Feed her good quality grass hay and/or pasture, along with 30% alfalfa.

You could go with the Reistport HA-100 Complete -- it is far better than Accel in her case. And, if you can have your hay analyzed for its lysine content, that would be best, since growing horses need additional lysine. If this is not feasible, add an additional 8 grams of Pure Lysine (2 scoops).

But, Reitsport HA-100 Complete provides joint support, which she doesn't likely need at this stage in her life. Instead, go with Glanzen Complete.

You won't need the Mare/Foal pellets since you'll be adding the Glanzen (or Reitsport) supplement. And, additional rice bran oil should not be necessary, unless she heavily exercised (you didn't mention how old she is).

So, all the hay she wants, plus alfalfa and beet pulp, along with 4 to 6 ounces (2 to 3 scoops) of Glanzen Complete (depending on her weight), and you'll be all set!

Make sure she has access to a plain, white salt block (not a mineralized one). If she doesn't lick it, add 2 ounces (two tablespoons) of plain, white, non-iodized Glanzen Complete already has iodine) table salt to her diet, divided between meals.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO