Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: allergies

Hi Sherry,

Excellent! Keep me posted on your progress!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Would I be able to feed rice bran instead of beat pulp??? I was looking into the shredded beat pulp around here and they all add molasses to it. She is allergic to molasses. How much rice bran would she get?? Is 2 scoops of Nutra Flax enough too?

Hi Sherry,

You really cannot substitute pound for pound, rice bran for beet pulp. You can feed rice bran, but be sure to get a stabilized product that has added calcium to correct the naturally inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio. I recommend ADM Alliance Natural Glo.

You can feed up to 1 lb of this rice bran per day, as long as whe is not overweight.

There is unsweetened beet pulp available -- usually it is pelleted and requires longer soaking. If you can find it and she doesn't like the bland taste, consider adding a flavored oil such as Aperti.

Two to three scoops (no more than 3) of Nutra Flax is appropriate for most full size horses (approximately 1000 lbs).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO